September 1, 1948
Wyckoff’s Plumbing was started by Howard Wyckoff in 1948. Howard and his brother Leo Murray grew up in Hayward, CA and started working as plumbers at a very young age. It was after World War II when Howard moved to Humboldt County to become a dairy farmer, but soon saw a greater opportunity in the plumbing industry. Fortuna was beginning to do away with wood-burning stoves by installing natural gas lines across town. Howard grabbed at the chance to develop a plumbing company and called Leo to join him.
The original store was located on Main Street (now Beverage Plus) and opened on September 1st, 1952. Eventually, Howard wanted to step away from the business, so Leo Murray stepped in and bought the business from his brother. Two days after Leo purchased the company, the store was destroyed in a fire. Leo began to rebuild, gearing his business for the do-it-yourselfer and carried large selections of plumbing, hardware and electrical supplies and equipment. Leo Murray in the 1990's